Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sweet Kisses


I recently sent out an email expressing my joy after receiving my first ever intentional and unprompted kiss from my sweet little boy. Gabriel is three and has Autism, which makes this kiss a special milestone in our family and a miraculous gift from God. Today I received another special kiss when dropping Gabriel off at school. Again, he saw his teachers and knew it was time for his mom to leave. As if in anticipation of the fact that I would soon be leaving, Gabe turned towards me and reached up to kiss me.
Gabriel does not yet have the words to express his feelings about his mom leaving, so perhaps his kiss is his way of coping externally with his inner anxiety about the inevitable separation. Whatever sparked this beautiful connection is not what is important to me. I am only concerned with one thing - those precious few seconds when all else fails to seem important and I share a connection with my son that has been long awaited. To God be the glory!

No comments: