Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Special Gifts
























I have taken a much needed break from frantically searching for the next treatment to try and have given myself permission to stop feeling so guilty all of the time over all of the things we are not doing. Since doing that, I have found myself enjoying and accepting Gabe more now than anytime since our initial concerns about Autism began over a year ago. The greatest part is that Gabe is doing better than ever! He is so happy and his receptive language is skyrocketing. He is even producing a few more attempts at speech - all unprompted and spontaneous. Gabe has been engaging his father and I more and interacting more and maintaining better eye contact. It's crazy to me that the minute I say, "enough - we need to take a break and enjoy each other," he takes off! :)This morning I received more special good-bye kisses and as I was talking to Gabe's teacher, Gabe picked up his backpack and grabbed his teacher's hand and looked up at her to signal that he was ready to go. He is just so aware lately and communicating with us so meaningfully.Last night he crawled into my lap and we rocked and I began to sing him a song. He turned to face me with a smile that lit up the entire room and then planted three kisses in a row on my lips. He then looked right in my eyes and his sweet face lit up again with that that radiant, glowing smile. To borrow a phrase my dad has used in describing the first time he saw his grandson, "It was like looking into the face of God."
Each day lately has been full of these meaningful moments, these little reasons to celebrate and give thanks! After such a long spell of heartache, worry, and doubt, our days are suddenly filled with many special gifts. Thanks be to God for "every good and perfect gift is from above!"


No comments: