Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Lunch With Gabe


I attended lunch today at Gabe's school as part of an end of the year tradition at Bradfield. This was such a fun event! When I walked into Gabe's classroom, he was sitting beside another little boy and playing with trains. I was so happy to see him sitting so close to another child and not trying to take his selected toys to another part of the room where he could be left alone. Gabe was surprised to see me and even dropped his beloved trains to approach me with that heart-stopping smile!
As we sat together and ate, Gabe could not stop smiling and at times became so excited that he would grin from ear-to-ear while joyfully flapping and shrieking. While we were still sitting at the table, the same little boy that was playing next to Gabe came over to him and began talking to him and making silly sounds and hand motions. Gabe acted as if he knew exactly what was being said to him and laughed appropriately at this little boy. They had several interactions in a row with this precious child making my son laugh. This is one of the only times I have seen Gabe interact with another child. Maybe in their own way, Gabe and his classmate are becoming friends! This thought warms my heart and brings tears to my eyes.

No comments: