Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Jenny's new book! Read it!

I must put in a plug for Jenny McCarthy's new book. She did a fantastic job in recapturing her struggle and journey with her son, Evan, diagnosed with Autism. On many pages, I really felt as though she were telling our story. She acknowledges the fact that all too often, Doctors do not give enough credit to our "mommy instincts." This has been the case for me so often that I regretfully admit to not giving much credit to the "instincts" of the medical experts that I now encounter. She illustrates how we, the parents of children with Autism, must rely on our own ability to research because there is no "Welcome to the World of Autism" pamphlet. She humorously refers to earning a Ph.D in "Google Research" and that is exactly how it feels!!!

She captures the heartbreak and the wide spectrum of feeling we, as mothers, go through on this rocky path. I strongly recommend this book to anyone - not just those raising children with Autism.

I have to end with a beautiful and eloquently written quote from her book that describes exactly how I have felt about my relationship with my son.

"Is he affectionate, and does he show warmth and love?"

"I was about to answer, and stopped. Time stood still at that moment. I wanted to reply, "Yes, all the time, he hugs me like all little boys hug their mommies and gives me kisses." But he didn't. I honestly had never noticed that I wasn't getting the physical love that most mommies get. I really didn't need it, because love is energy, and I felt it. His love was louder than words, and our connection was very deep. If Evan never spoke a word, I would be able to read his mind and feel a love connection that could be felt by the whole universe. I answered, "Does he show love? He is love. And I feel it every day."

Thanks, Jenny!

1 comment:

suemo said...

I love reading your blog and I loved reading the book. You have a beautiful son and I am excited to be able to work with him.